Insurance Requirement for Semester/Year Abroad Students
All students participating in a Saint Joseph’s University study abroad program are required to have health insurance with international coverage. The insurance must be valid for the duration of the student’s studies abroad and must cover the following points (at minimum):
- Provisions for pre-existing conditions
- Coverage for mental and nervous disorders of at least $5,000
- Overall medical benefits of at least $100,000
- Emergency Evacuation benefits of at least $50,000
- Repatriation of Remains benefits of at least $10,000
- Health insurance coverage through the program into which the student has been accepted (not always applicable!), or
- Family-plan insurance, or
- The Student Injury and Sickness Insurance Plan offered through Saint Joseph’s University, or
- Short-term insurance purchased through a provider that specializes in coverage for students of U.S. institutions while abroad.
Insurance Requirement for SJU Faculty-led Study Tours and Summer Programs
With regards to SJU faculty-led Study Tours and Summer Programs, the insurance premium for GeoBlue insurance is built directly into the program fee and includes emergency medical insurance and natural disaster and political evacuation coverage. Students will receive additional information about their GeoBlue coverage upon acceptance. Please note that students may NOT opt out of this coverage.