Skip to content

From Inside the United States

International students who are accepted to Saint Joseph's and are already in the United States have a slightly different immigration process than those applying for a visa from outside the country.  In addition to the other I-20 form requirements, if you are  already in F-1 status, you will have to follow the procedures for transferring your F-1 status to SJU.  You must ask the university that issued your current I-20 to complete our Transfer Recommendation Form  and to release your SEVIS record to us.  The transfer must occur within 60 days of the program end date on your current I-20 or within 60 days of the end of any authorized post-completion Optional Practical Training.  If you are traveling outside the United States between programs you will need to use the SJU I-20 to return for classes.

Students who are in another immigration status may need to change to F-1 status or may have the option of remaining in their current status for their studies.  For instance if you are in H-1B status working full-time, and you want to take classes in addition to your job, you can do so. However, F-2 spouses cannot pursue a degree, F-2 children can only study in elementary, middle, and high school; B-1/B-2 visitors (tourists for business or pleasure) cannot study at all. Anyone presently in B-1/B-2 or F-2 status will need to change to F-1 status before beginning classes or you will violate your current status.  If you are in H-4 status you may study but you may wish to change your status to F-1 to be eligible for certain student benefits such as working on campus while you are studying or obtaining work permission once you graduate.

Anyone needing to apply for a change of status should speak with an advisor at CIP for additional information and to determine the best course of action.