1. Students take courses under a prestigious faculty and alongside Czech and other European students.
2. Three program-sponsored day-trips and a weekend trip abroad designed to immerse students in Central European culture.
3. Students can apply for a variety of impressive internships through the UPCES Internship Program.
4. Courses are taught in the historic Schebek Palace in the center of Prague.
5. Students live in centrally-located program-sponsored apartments of their choosing.
UPCES offers students the opportunity for intellectual and cultural engagement in Prague, one of Europe's most beautiful cities. UPCES is located in a historic palace
in the center of Prague
Prominent scholars from Charles University teach UPCES courses in English. Course subjects include economics, international relations, sociology, history, political science, film, literature, philosophy, and Czech language. Students from a wide variety of majors and interests will greatly benefit from the UPCES academic experience.
UPCES classrooms offer a unique opportunity to interact with students from around the globe. A typical UPCES course (limited to 15 participants) has students of several nationalities and provides a truly multicultural environment for learning.
UPCES students live in program-sponsored apartments. Flats are located throughout the center section of Prague. Students do not just interact with Czechs, but truly live amongst them.
With UPCES, students explore the cultures of Central Europe. Each semester, UPCES organizes trips to Cesky Krumlov, Litomerice, Kutna Hora or Karlovy Vary, and a 3-night trip to Krakow, Poland. UPCES also organizes a series of cultural trips within the immediate area of Prague. Czech and other European students are invited on these trips as well.
UPCES students can apply for a variety of non-paid (and not-for-credit) internships related to their major or personal interests through the UPCES Internship Program.
UPCES offers unlimited outlets for learning and personal growth, in and out of the classroom. Learn more about UPCES on our website and on Facebook. We hope you will join us for an incredible semester in Prague!
Students should consult the Budget Sheets at the top of this page for estimated program costs. For the most up-to-date cost information, please visit the UPCES website. In addition, before choosing to study abroad in another country for anywhere from three to six months, you should consider the exchange rate
of your host country as well as the cost of living
in the city where you will be.
Center for International Programs Study Abroad Grant
Please apply for this program before applying for the CIP Study Abroad Grant (due October 15th or March 15th). Use the 'Featured Program
' Search to apply to this grant.
Department of Political Science Scholarship Thomas Fund Scholarships
In addition to the financial assistance for lectures, the Thomas Family Fund provides funding to Political Science students who are studying abroad for a semester. In the last two years alone, four students have benefitted from the Thomas Family Fund. In spring 2010 Alyssa Ryan '11 studied in London and interned with a member of the British Parliament; Frederick Roth '11, studied in Leuven, Belgium and interned in the European Union Parliament in spring 2010; Megan Scheidemann '11, also studied in Leuven, Belgium and interned for the European Union Parliament in spring 2009; Amar Sharif '12 traveled to South Africa for the fall 2010 semester and participated in the Marquette program. The fall 2014 recipient was Milena Vulopas, who also participated in the Belgium Internship Program. To apply, p
lease contact the Political Science department.
Things to Remember Before Applying
- You must meet with a CIP advisor before beginning your application.
- Review the SJU Study Abroad Policy here.
- This program requires a separate, on-line application to be submitted directly to them. Please refer to their website for deadlines and application requirements.
- If approved by the CIP, you will be required to submit a non-refundable $300 confirmation deposit WITHIN 10 BUSINESS DAYS of receiving your approval notice.