Participating in a Non-SJU Summer Study Abroad Program
Saint Joseph's University students who wish to earn academic credit through participation in an external (i.e., not facilitated by SJU)
summer study abroad program must apply through the CIP's online application system and complete the University's Permission to Take Courses Elsewhere Form
. This form requires multiple signatures. Therefore, it is important to start the application process 2-3 weeks in advance of the March 15th deadline.
Before beginning an application, however, we strongly advise students to carefully research program options. There is no approved/affiliated list, but students can browse through the brochures available in the CIP office, meet with one of our staff members, or research programs independently. While we do not endorse StudyAbroad.com
, these sites have been useful to previous SJU students when researching study abroad programs.
- Students of all levels (freshmen through seniors) are eligible to apply for approval to participate on a non-SJU summer or winter program.
- Students must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 in order to be eligible for study abroad. However, when researching programs, you may find that many have higher GPA requirements that you will also need to meet.
- The student is responsible for submitting appropriate application materials and payments directly to the program he/she decides to apply to. SJU financial aid will NOT transfer on winter or summer programs.
- Students are not permitted to take more than two courses per summer term.
- Credits earned through the non-SJU summer/winter abroad program will be considered transfer credits and the grades earned will not be posted on the SJU transcript.
- Credit will only be granted if the student has earned a grade of C or above in courses taken abroad.
- The CIP on-line application must be completed no later than March 15th.
1) Review the SJU policies and procedures for Non-SJU Study Abroad here
2) Meet with your Academic Advisor to select coursework you may be able to complete abroad.
3) Meet with a CIP Advisor
to discuss abroad program and/or university options and locations that may best suit your needs, and begin researching your options.
4) Discuss finances with your program and your family.
4) Click "Apply Now" to start the Non-SJU Summer Study Abroad on-line application.
5) Gather abroad course information (syllabi, if possible) required to complete the Permission to Take Courses Elsewhere Form.