Programs > Brochure
Non-SJU Summer Study Abroad
|Program Dates & Deadlines:||Click here to view|
|Restrictions:||SJU applicants only|
Saint Joseph's University students who wish to earn academic credit through participation in an external (i.e., not facilitated by SJU) summer study abroad program must apply through the CIP's online application system. As part of the application process, you will be required to complete the SJU's Permission to Take Courses Elsewhere Form. For courses taken internationally, the CIP office must sign this form. The CIP office also approves the study abroad program and location. Therefore, it is important to start the application process 2-3 weeks in advance of the deadline.
Before beginning an application, however, we strongly advise students to carefully research program options, for which they are eligible. Students can browse through the brochures available in the CIP office, meet with the Study Abroad Advisor, or they can research programs independently. While we do not endorse StudyAbroad.com or IIEpassport.org, these sites have been useful to previous SJU students when researching study abroad programs.
It's important to also note the following policies related to non-SJU summer study abroad:
- Students of all levels (freshmen through seniors) are eligible to apply for approval to participate on a non-SJU summer or winter program.
- Students must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 in order to be eligible for study abroad. However, when researching programs, you may find that many have higher GPA requirements that you will also need to meet.
- The student is responsible for submitting appropriate application materials and payments directly to the program he/she decides to apply to. SJU financial aid will not transfer.
- Students are not permitted to take more than two courses per summer term.
- Credits earned through the non-SJU summer/winter abroad program will be considered transfer credits and the grades earned will not be posted on the SJU transcript.
- Credit will only be granted if the student has earned a grade of C or above in courses taken abroad.
1) Review the SJU policies and procedures for Non-SJU Study Abroad here.
2) Meet with your Academic Advisor to select coursework you may be able to complete abroad.
3) Meet with a CIP Advisor to discuss abroad program and/or university options and locations that may best suit your needs, and begin researching your options.
4) Click "Apply Now" to start the Non-SJU Summer Study Abroad application, entering your program information.
5) Gather abroad course information (syllabi, if possible) required to complete the Permission to Take Courses Elsewhere Form from Hawk Central.
|Dates / Deadlines:|
|Term||Year||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
** Indicates rolling admission application process. Applicants will be immediately notified of acceptance into this program and be able to complete post-decision materials prior to the term's application deadline.